Vocabulary Learning Tips
- Read as much as possible. If you come across a word you don’t know, write it down or look it up.
- Use a dictionary. Many browsers include dictionaries. If you are reading online, you may be able to right-click on a word to look it up.
- There is no specific vocabulary section in the IELTS test but you will need to understand and be able to use a large number of words to do well in all sections of the exam.
- If you are doing the Academic version of IELTS you should study the words in the Academic word list.
Sign up for a ‘word a day’ email.
- Think of ways of remembering words. Do they sound like a word in your own language?
- Remember words are often used together with other words. Try to learn these ‘collocations’.